> Ripping a Wecast, I have no idea...
V
afimiseriacantar...
Dec 11 2008, 04:53 PM

SuperMembers
26-March 08
San Diego, CA
OMB Name: afimiseriacantare

So I really want to rip the KROQ webcast but I don't know how. Does anyone know any freeware I can use to do it and explain it a little?? Thanx

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dontneedagun
Dec 12 2008, 06:03 AM

Ew. It's not a jewel, it's a dirty old piece of crap!

SuperMembers
9-June 05
Norwich, UK
OMB Name: *skoldilocks*

Pool Jam Champion!
The Strongbow Rooms Champion!
Battleships Champion!

There's a number of ways you can do this so I'll just tell you the way I do it biggrin.gif

Get Internet Explorer if you haven't already (I know it sucks but you'll only be using it for this purpose, and it won't work in the latest version of Firefox, so you'll need it unless you have Firefox 2.0).
Get RealPlayer media software.

When you've done that, go to the page in IE and depending on how the RealPlayer is configured, when you hover your mouse over the player, a little tab should appear on the page that says 'Copy video to RealPlayer' or 'Save Video' or something to that effect. If it doesn't appear just right click on the player on the page. Click on that (I know it says 'video' but it will work with music too) and it should open up your RealPlayer downloads in a new window. When all that's finished, go to the folder to which it has saved (usually something like 'My Documents\Videos\RealPlayer Downloads') and look at the type of file it is. If it's music it should have saved it as .mp3. If it's video, it will be .flv - a flash video, as most video players are flash players. In this case you'll only be able to play the video in RealPlayer UNLESS you convert it. To do that, you can download MC Media Converter for free and convert the video into any format, including .mp3 or whatever.

And that is all. It's how I do it anyway. There is a little plug in for Firefox called Video DownloadHelper which does basically the same as the RealPlayer plugin but I don't think it works for a lot of videos. You can use RealPlayer for virtually any ripping (e.g. MySpace rips and to rip YouTube videos).

Hope that helps smile.gif

Oh yeah, the links:
Internet Explorer - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...ie/default.mspx
RealPlayer - http://uk.real.com/player/more/
Media Converter - http://www.mediaconverter.org/index.php?s=...;show=downloads

--------------------

+Quote Post
afimiseriacantar...
Dec 12 2008, 06:02 PM

SuperMembers
26-March 08
San Diego, CA

Well.... I seem to already have all the programs, but I'm having problems with the webcast. It's already up with a test vid and when I right click on it it just says Silverlight Configuration. So I'm not sure how to do this. I hope this gets recorded... But do you know if I can record a webcast streaming with Microsoft Silverlight??

--------------------

+Quote Post
dontneedagun
Dec 13 2008, 05:24 AM

SuperMembers
9-June 05
Norwich, UK

Hmm, that's odd. I've never used Silverlight so I wouldn't really know frown2.gif The only thing I can suggest is to check your configuration settings in RealPlayer (Tools>Preferences>Downloading & Recording and it should all be there for you to sort out), check you have the most recent RealPlayer, and if you can, switch off or disable Silverlight for the time being (I'm not sure how Silverlight works so I don't know if that's even possible).
Otherwise just send me the link to whatever you want to record and I'll see if I can do it. It COULD also be possible that the player on the KROQ site is a different sort of player that doesn't allow for ripping, much like the ones on imeem and last.fm. However, when I go on the KROQ site the little live broadcast player at the top lets me record it. I just don't know what to click on to get to what you want to record. So like I said, try my suggestions, and if that doesn't work just tell me what to do smile.gif

EDIT: I see your problem now. I just managed to get on the page you wanted and the problem is that the video is a Silverlight streaming which is very annoying indeed, as RealPlayer won't be able to capture it. First see what happens when you click on Silverlight Configuration; it might give you some options for ripping and downloading. If not, then there is software which you can get for free as a trial version here, althought it might be a bit of hassle considering you only want to use it once but it's an option. That software, I think, allows you to rip .wmv format videos, which you can then convert into whatever you want. I haven't actually tried it so please don't take my word for it.

EDIT AGAIN: There is a good chance that someone else here might do it, and even if they don't, it will probably end up on YouTube in which case anyone can rip it, even if it is lousy quality.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Frisk
Dec 13 2008, 07:16 AM

Advanced Member

SuperMembers
26-February 05
Florida
OMB Name: The Frisk

Not sure if it helps, but on the bottom of the window that pops up to see the Test Video, it says "Problems with Silverlight? Watch with Windows Media Player: LO | MED | HI"
Just click that and try to find a program that will let you record something from Windows Media Player.

+Quote Post
dontneedagun
Dec 13 2008, 09:42 AM

SuperMembers
9-June 05
Norwich, UK

Yes, that can be done with the software I suggested above, though I'm yet to find any fully free solution.

--------------------

+Quote Post
afimiseriacantar...
Dec 13 2008, 01:46 PM

SuperMembers
26-March 08
San Diego, CA

Whe I try to open the Windows Media Player link it'll only open with VLC Media Player. So IDK what I'm doing smile.gif If it'll work let me know. I cn't use RealPlayer with it. If we can't figure it out it's no big deal. I'll just enjoy it now. I hope someone knows what they're doing smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dontneedagun
Dec 14 2008, 08:19 AM

SuperMembers
9-June 05
Norwich, UK

Indeed I think this is a lost cause. I have no way of making it work without overloading my computer, so we'll just have to wait and see. I'm quite sure it will appear on YouTube eventually so all is not lost.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

: · ·

· · ·

Toggle sidebar
: 23rd September 2017 - 12:03 PM