V
Positively Negat...
Mar 6 2009, 09:37 AM

mesmerized by pearls and purple clouds

SuperMembers
18-May 06
Maryland
OMB Name: Plus Minus

My PC is being such a bitch. It's caught at least two viruses over the past couple of months, and I just finished wiping the silly thing, and already it's giving me warnings for two other viruses that WebRoot refuses to quarantine, and I'm sick of it.

I've been thinking--this thing is a few years old, maybe it's time I get a new one, anyway.

So I'm going to get a Mac of some kind. Mostly so I can put Final Cut on it and edit various school projects and jazz. And I know there's some Mac people here, so you should totally lend me your opinion.

Right now I'm torn between a MacBook Pro and an iMac.

The portability of a Pro would be nice, but they're more expensive, and I'm not sure it's a feature I'd use overly much, anyway. And I heard that they stopped putting firewire ports in them, anyway.

The iMac wouldn't be quite so moveable, but it's still small enough that I could take it home for long weekends, if I wanted to. They're cheaper, and I think editing and Photoshopping would be easier on a desktop instead of a laptop. Does anybody know if they still have firewire ports?

I'm also pretty concerned about antivirus, since I keep getting screwed over time and time again by that sort of thing. I've got a few friends who have no antivirus stuff for their Macs, because there really aren't many viruses for Macs, but is this really okay? If I did manage to catch a virus on it, what are the chances of it being debilitating (vs annoying)? Would I be able to fix it without wiping the computer clean?

Also, I have a Zune--would that software work alright on a Mac, or would it keep trying to convert it to iTunes or something?

--------------------
Too cool for a sig.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ANGELSINEVERYONE
Mar 6 2009, 03:10 PM

Tardy for the party

SuperMembers
8-November 06
Tempe, AZ
OMB Name: Angelsineveryone

Cone Crazy Champion!
Smack the Rabbit Champion!
Dropkick The Faint Champion!
Flatout Champion!
Island Offroad Champion!
Kitten Cannon Champion!

The new Macbook Pro still have firewire ports...

<a href="http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2541" target="_blank">http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2541</a>

I would recommend the Pro, i think it is worth the extra money if you have it. It is so easy to do upgrades yourself. You can drop a 1TB hard drive in it for $100, among other easy upgrades. So down the line you can upgrade and update it yourself.

I have had a 4 year old iBook G4 laptop and I download lots of crap (torrents, etc) and have never been infected nor have had any anti-virus program.

The iMacs are sweet but I am partial to the Macbooks. For Photoshop and editing you can always hook up a mouse.

As far as the Zune, I don't think there is a Zune program for Mac.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rey Merin
Mar 6 2009, 10:56 PM

Mod Squad

23-February 05
Floridizzle
OMB Name: blueREY

You can get good deals on Macbooks come the beginning of school years by telling them you're a student. They usually give out a free iPod as well that you can sell for a really good deal. Just something to consider if the Macbook Pro is too pricey for you. And as already stated, getting a mouse to plug in would definitely make using programs like photoshop, etc. much easier to use.

I'm thinking of getting a new laptop for the upcoming fall semester and I'm looking at a Pro. Hmm...

And you could probably look into safer browsing. I'm on a PC and I've never had virus problems, at least not on any computer I use exclusively. Family computers, on the other hand, are a different story. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that anymore.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alli
Mar 7 2009, 12:21 AM

Administrator

Administrator
16-February 05
West Vancouver, BC
OMB Name: Alli

Planarity Champion!
Othello Champion!
Orca Slap Champion!
Sudoku Champion!

Out of the three, I'd go with the MacBook. MacBook Pros cost more but the added power probably won't be much use to you if you're not a "pro." Or doing heavy gaming I guess. Additionally, I don't know how it is over there, but here they are prime targets for thieves. You're a bit safer with the MacBook, since they're so common. It'd suck to spend all that money on something just to have it get stolen.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Positively Negat...
Mar 7 2009, 08:20 AM

SuperMembers
18-May 06
Maryland

Yeah, I heard that if I waited until the summer, they would throw in an iPod (and a printer?). I think I'll just stick it out until July or something, because I'd cry if I had nothing to play my music on.

But y'know, until then, I'd still love to hear your opinions and experiences. smile.gif

--------------------
Too cool for a sig.

+Quote Post
dontneedagun
Mar 7 2009, 10:32 AM

Ew. It's not a jewel, it's a dirty old piece of crap!

SuperMembers
9-June 05
Norwich, UK
OMB Name: *skoldilocks*

Pool Jam Champion!
The Strongbow Rooms Champion!
Battleships Champion!

My brother has a Macbook and he's always going on about it. It's a few years old and still running strong. I'd go for that because it basically does everything you need and are worth the price I think. If you want to do editing you'll need to get a mouse though because the track pad is annoying (as they are with all laptops). And he does heavy duty graphics stuff on it and it's perfectly fine, so the Pro isn't really necessary if you're not like, I don't know, a professional film maker or something. There are no viruses for Macs, so you don't have to worry. You can even use torrents and it's fine. Zune is however not compatible with Macs, so depending on what format your music and stuff is in you might need to invest in a converter if you don't already have one, and then it should be able to work in iTunes, which I think comes with Macs. If it's all in mp3 format anyway then it's not a problem.

Hope that helped tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rey Merin
Mar 7 2009, 07:07 PM

Mod Squad

23-February 05
Floridizzle
OMB Name: blueREY

It is NOT impossible for a Mac to get a virus. Gaming isn't an issue because virtually no one makes games for Macs. And just because you aren't a "pro" doesn't mean you can't use the pro... if you use any sort of heavy program regularly (Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Ableton Live, etc.), you'll definitely want to consider the Pro.

Edit: Oh, and everyone should be ripping mp3 to their computers and whatnot (unless you want lossless, then in that case I'd go for flac). Compatibility! I rip things at v0 and that's what I suggest, but if you feel you don't need the quality, then whateves.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Positively Negat...
Mar 8 2009, 03:04 AM

SuperMembers
18-May 06
Maryland

I'm not sure I want to spring for Final Cut Pro, but I'll definitely be investing in Final Cut Express. And I'm looking to get Photoshop, too.

--------------------
Too cool for a sig.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

: · ·

· · ·

Toggle sidebar
: 26th March 2017 - 10:43 PM