( | )

Reason for closing (ixnay 25-05-2008): Resource.

Closed TopicStart new topic
> Fake Dork copies on eBay, Avoid being ripped off!
V
Pablo
May 20 2008, 02:16 PM

Banned

Banned
12-March 05
México
OMB Name: n/a

Only need to know backstory: eBay username lchange1 is making Dork bootlegs.

Thanks to daisydeadpetals and 4ibanez for gathering this information and the research. Thanks to sistinas for photos.

Making these fake copies is extremely profitable. Each Dork sells for $500 the cheapest, and making a vinyl is way cheaper than that.

There is a way to know that a Dork EP is fake. While the legit Dorks have one set of serial etched near the center of the vinyl, the fake ones have two; one of them is made by the factory that manufactured the vinyl, and the other set is manually etched with the original serial.

The etched serials on the fake copies are:

AFI's side
Factory etched serial: a59276-m-a
Manually etched serial: 163680-a (or 1636860-a)

Loose Change's side
Factory etched serial: a59276-m-b
Manually etched serial: 163680-b (or 1636860-B)

Pictures of a legit copy, with the original serials can be found courtesy to Elizabeth V Bouras (sistinas) here:
<a href="http://www.psychotica.net/afi/dork" target="_blank">http://www.psychotica.net/afi/dork</a>

The original serials are:
AFI's side: 1636860-A
Loose Change's side: 1636860-B

AFI Series recommends to abstain from buying Dork EP copies from eBay unless you cna be absolutely sure that the copy is legit and that you trust the seller. "Return policy" sellers would be better as you can return in original condition for a refund if it's a boot.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sistinas
May 25 2008, 04:11 AM

Respected Member

SuperMembers
25-March 05
Washington Grove, Maryland
OMB Name: sistinas

I yot an email this morning from Geoff Kresge asking me to warn AFI fans about these fakes!!! Geoff is the authority on these releases as he put them out on his own Key Lime Pie records:

Please tell everyone you know that this is not authentic. The statement in the listing is untrue. There are no lacquer pressings of this record. There was never anything to the effect of any type of "quality control" pressing. All 210 copies of the only real and authentic pressing are identical, with the exception of six to ten copies that are specially etched for promotional purposes, which was done by me personally.

GK

http://cgi.ebay.com/Loose-Change-Stick-Aro...1QQcmdZViewItem

--------------------

+Quote Post
ixnay
May 25 2008, 10:54 PM

Board Leader

Admixistrator
16-February 05
Your imagination
OMB Name: ixnay

Mini Golf Gold Champion!

This topic is offered as a resource. There isn't any need for discussion in here as it only leads to abusing sellers and complaining. If you have information you feel is important for this topic PM me and I can let you add it.

If you feel there is need for discussion on this as a team to help evaluate the situation better then please PM a person who you think will be willing to do so. There are really only about 6 people who are evaluating all this with the help of Geoff.

+Quote Post
ixnay
Jul 12 2008, 08:45 PM

Board Leader

Admixistrator
16-February 05
Your imagination
OMB Name: ixnay

I've cleaned up some of the mis-info in the original topic (serials) thanks to Jeanette.

So the title post should now be accurate and fully sourced, finally.

+Quote Post

Reason for closing (ixnay 25-05-2008): Resource.
Closed TopicStart new topic

: · ·

· · ·

Toggle sidebar
: 18th October 2017 - 03:57 PM