the.nephilim
Jun 24 2010, 02:32 AM

smallpox champion, USA!

SuperMembers
3-June 07
ballarat, vic, aus (hole on a hill)
OMB Name: chloe.recall

i'm not sure.

i'm an afi fan through and through. i love all the albums.

but i've been listening to crash love a heap lately and i think its fair great, except veronica sawyer smokes, thats a shit song, but all the same i think the albums great. specally the bonus track; fainting spells. anyway, i dunno theres songs on DU that grab Me and after seeing afi after this tour the Crash Love songs grab me so yeh. not too sure

what do you guys reckon?

(reckon.... such an aussie word)

--------------------

art
so bad so far
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dontneedagun
Jun 24 2010, 06:26 AM

Ew. It's not a jewel, it's a dirty old piece of crap!

SuperMembers
9-June 05
Norwich, UK
OMB Name: *skoldilocks*

Pool Jam Champion!
The Strongbow Rooms Champion!
Battleships Champion!

As of recent times, I can no longer listen to ANY song on DU. They all make me cringe.
CL is better, it's less XO-EMO but at the same time I get bored after listening to about 3 songs (I really like Torch Song and Beautiful Thieves, as well as Fainting Spells). I don't listen to it a whole lot but I listen to it more than DU therefore it must be better. I'm glad there's an entire back catalogue to listen to though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
firebug327
Jun 24 2010, 08:44 AM

Ruby Member

SuperMembers
11-April 08
Somewhere else
OMB Name: n/a

Currently, I love CL more.
However, DU will always have a special place in my heart.
CL is more relevant to me right now, and is also just really, really good.
I'll see in a few years which one I like better. Even though I always change around what I think the best AFI album is every 6 months or so.

--------------------
I have learned not to sweat the petty things and not to pet the sweaty things
Unwisely, Santa offered a teddy bear to James, unaware that he had been mauled by a grizzly earlier that year.

+Quote Post
shirax
Jun 24 2010, 09:23 AM

S-U-P-E-R-C-A-L-A-F-R-A-G-A...uhhh WHAT?

SuperMembers
20-August 06
above, a rain of ashes, decends like anathema...
OMB Name: shirax

It depends on how I'm feeling. Like some songs on CL fit to me more one day, but a song on DU will describe how I feel another day.

--------------------
"Remember a promise you couldn't hold onto. Though it brings me to tears now, I need you to know. Look in my eyes boy, nothing like yours now. It seems that a lifetime is passing us by."

-"To Die For", The Birthday Massacre

+Quote Post
ChristianShane
Jun 24 2010, 09:38 AM

Birds ate my face.

SuperMembers
7-June 08
Richmond/NOLA
OMB Name: Givememalice

DU for me. Gators gonna gait, etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ANGELSINEVERYONE
Jun 24 2010, 10:21 AM

Tardy for the party

SuperMembers
8-November 06
Tempe, AZ
OMB Name: Angelsineveryone

Cone Crazy Champion!
Smack the Rabbit Champion!
Dropkick The Faint Champion!
Flatout Champion!
Island Offroad Champion!
Kitten Cannon Champion!

crash_love.gif pwns IMO. I still like maybe 4 songs on DU but compared to the 17 out of 18 Crash Love era releases that I like, there is no contest smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Angelcasualtie
Jun 24 2010, 01:09 PM

gloopy doop coop floop

SuperMembers
27-July 05
Lodi
OMB Name: Angelcasualtie

I like CL more. I can't really revisit any songs from DU at all.

--------------------
But who was CROTCH?!!?

+Quote Post
calibur013
Jun 24 2010, 01:12 PM

l'apprenti francais

SuperMembers
28-May 08
Some Shore Town, NJ
OMB Name: n/a

I love crash_love.gif without a doubt, but if it's a rainy day DU just fits it so well for me. I don't know, maybe I just like both, and I still find myself revisiting Black Sails a lot. I guess it just depends on the day.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shadowsoal
Jun 24 2010, 03:48 PM

Phoenix

SuperMembers
24-September 06
Rochester NY
OMB Name: Shadowsoal

Among the given choices I'd have to say that Black Sails is a better album.

--------------------
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together. Okay, 3 2 1 let's jam!
user posted image

+Quote Post
TheAceOfSpades
Jun 25 2010, 02:39 PM

Assling [WonderAssTwin]

SuperMembers
30-May 06
The Panty Cave
OMB Name: TheAceOfSpades

Hahaha, Jake. icon14.gif tongue.gif

CL for me. It sounds closer to STS than DU did, and STS is my favorite. I only really listen to a few songs off of DU, but I like all of CL. [Even Veronica Sawyer, SOMETIMES. Depends on my mood.]

--------------------
And I'd give up forever to touch you, 'cause I know that you feel me somehow. You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be and I don't want to go home right now.

YADAMNGAWFKID.

+Quote Post
hateclowns
Jul 6 2010, 07:53 AM

SuperMembers
11-June 06
LINY
OMB Name: hateclowns

There are songs on DU I like MUCH more than any CL song (K&C, KC, Affliction), but as a whole album I'm liking CL more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheAceOfSpades
Jul 6 2010, 08:26 AM

Assling [WonderAssTwin]

SuperMembers
30-May 06
The Panty Cave

Am I the only one who really, really dislikes Kill Caustic and Affliction? It just felt like they were trying too hard with those tracks. They didn't go with the album at all. The music is fine, the lyrics aren't bad either, but I find the vocals to be trash.

--------------------
And I'd give up forever to touch you, 'cause I know that you feel me somehow. You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be and I don't want to go home right now.

YADAMNGAWFKID.

+Quote Post
dontneedagun
Jul 6 2010, 09:21 AM

Ew. It's not a jewel, it's a dirty old piece of crap!

SuperMembers
9-June 05
Norwich, UK
OMB Name: *skoldilocks*

QUOTE (TheAceOfSpades @ Jul 6 2010, 05:26 PM) *
Am I the only one who really, really dislikes Kill Caustic and Affliction? It just felt like they were trying too hard with those tracks. They didn't go with the album at all. The music is fine, the lyrics aren't bad either, but I find the vocals to be trash.

I don't like those songs either, but like I said I don't really like any. I guess those are the songs that the band described as 'hardcore' back before the album was released when they were describing what kind of songs were going to be on DU. But you're right, they do feel very very forced in the context of that album, and they're definitely not hardcore. Also not a fan of Davey's then-new style of screaming, it was just too screechy for my liking.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheAceOfSpades
Jul 8 2010, 01:19 PM

Assling [WonderAssTwin]

SuperMembers
30-May 06
The Panty Cave

QUOTE (dontneedagun @ Jul 6 2010, 01:21 PM) *
I don't like those songs either, but like I said I don't really like any. I guess those are the songs that the band described as 'hardcore' back before the album was released when they were describing what kind of songs were going to be on DU. But you're right, they do feel very very forced in the context of that album, and they're definitely not hardcore. Also not a fan of Davey's then-new style of screaming, it was just too screechy for my liking.

Agreed. I realize that after his surgery he had to change up his style and whatnot, but I kind of would've preferred if he had just dropped the screaming unless it was for an older song. But I suppose that they had to find out if it would work somehow, and these songs were the guinea pigs. I'm glad they didn't use it as much on CL.

--------------------

YADAMNGAWFKID.

+Quote Post
Mada!
Jul 8 2010, 11:31 PM

Manass [WonderAssTwin]

SuperMembers
27-April 05
Also The Panty Cave
OMB Name: Mada

I really, really dislike both albums.

I haven't listened to DU once since CL came out, and I haven't listened to ANYTHING from CL since seeing AFI last in March.

I would say that DU is more of how I see AFI than CL is, but I would say that if I had to, I would listen to CL over DU because it is much more consitant in its flow.

CL sounds better live, but after the first three tracks on the album I couldn't care less about the rest of them.
DU sounds like shit live (with the exception of On The Arrow), but probably has more single tracks that I like.

Eh.

--------------------
I want my name. to waltz right off of their tongues, like a secret they can't keep.

Albino Vagino

+Quote Post
the.nephilim
Jul 18 2010, 07:27 PM

smallpox champion, USA!

SuperMembers
3-June 07
ballarat, vic, aus (hole on a hill)
OMB Name: chloe.recall

QUOTE (Mada! @ Jul 9 2010, 05:31 PM) *
I haven't listened to DU once since CL came out, and I haven't listened to ANYTHING from CL since seeing AFI last in March.

I would say that DU is more of how I see AFI than CL is, but I would say that if I had to, I would listen to CL over DU because it is much more consitant in its flow.

CL sounds better live, but after the first three tracks on the album I couldn't care less about the rest of them.
DU sounds like shit live (with the exception of On The Arrow), but probably has more single tracks that I like.

Eh.

question... if you really really like CL, why keep listening to it?
i admit i wasnt impressed with CL on first impression but it grew on me and it grew well

i think thats why i'm so attatched to CL, after going to the two melbourne shows in march - they were frikken incredible. i held daveys hand for at least a minute before i realised it was his and when he shoved his mic near my mouth i screamed "reach out!" it was just so god damn awesome.

i agree in the consistancy thing in CL and yeh DU stuff isnt as amazing live, though i do really like kill caustic live and in general.

"DON'T SPEAK MY NAME!"

srsly, how is that not great? (without discounting opinions [i respect everyones]) i still like DU, and i do think kill caustic and affliction are great songs, and are not try hard. i think they break the ice in the album and give an angst i love that the album would so be missing without them. if anything, miss murder is the tryhard song.

i dont think CL follows off STS at all, it has the same sort of consistancy as STS as in you dont just want to hear one song, but them all in their order (except veronica sawyer smokes, way too sappy not my cuppa tea [still cant believe they played at soundwave so not a festival moshing song]). Fainting Spells does, but that is from DU era. (Thats a frikken great song and i feel has the same angst as kill caustic or affliction)

--------------------

art
so bad so far

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

: · ·

· · ·

Toggle sidebar
: 22nd August 2017 - 03:10 AM